The campus has several notable pieces of art and sculpture, and significant landmarks.
Big Blue Clock
Since the fall of 2009, a six-foot-by-six-foot digital clock known as Big Blue has kept time on the third floor of the Buell Building. But in August 2016, a power outage in the building and a malfunction in the clock's backup battery system required a reboot. LTU Professor Ken Cook and student assistants mounted a service lift and rose high above the atrium to make the repairs. Which were pretty simple – replacing four AAA batteries for the backup system. The clock was designed and assembled as part of a senior project in engineering technology by four students who earned bachelor's degrees in engineering technology in 2009 – Anthony Castelluci, Jason D'Antimo, Luciano Mancini, and Daniel Peraino. The clock might more appropriately be called Big Green, since it draws just 10 watts of power, barely more than a night light.
Named in honor of alumnus John E. Elliott II '80, and his wife, Patricia, the Elliott Fountain is made of basalt boulders harvested from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Designed with conservation in mind, the fountain requires minimal water consumption. A series of high-pressure water jets create a fog that emanates from the split center of the boulder. At night, compact LEDs illuminate the fog and make it glow.
Dedicated to College of Engineering alumni in 1981, this piece was donated by the Engineering Honor Society, Tau Beta Pi - Michigan Eta Chapter.
This brass and steel sculpture, with copper and ferric nitrate patina, was created in 1980 and installed at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor, commissioned by A. Alfred Taubman for the Lord and Taylor court display. During a mall renovation, it was gifted to the A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute, which in turn gifted it to Lawrence Tech, where it was installed in a sunny atrium area of the LTU Library.
The artist is John Rush (b. 1935), an American artist who taught sculpture, drawing, and three-dimensional design at the University of Michigan from 1962 to 2006. He stablished the school’s first foundry, trained students in lost wax and investment casting processes, and created three public sculptures for U-M and two for the city of Ann Arbor. He is a graduate of the Cranbrook Academy of Art, and is known best for his abstract geometric work in aluminum, steel, resin, acrylic, bronze, and granite.
Henry Ford Bust
This work was dedicated in April 2017, a gift of the Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association. The sculptor is Mino Kramer, who has extensive experience in commissioned sculpture, limited editions and monumental bronzes for commercial and personal sites. Her other works include a sculpture of a young Thomas Edison along the St. Mary’s River in Port Huron.
Henry Ford opened a trade school in 1916 that would eventually enroll nearly 3,000 students. Henry Ford and his son Edsel were also instrumental in the creation of LTU in 1932 on the automaker’s Highland Park campus – and one of the first acts of LTU founder Russell Lawrence was to create a scholarship fund for Trade School graduates.
This piece, located at the center of the University Quadrangle, was installed in 2009 as part of the building of the A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center. Taubman donated the sculpture, designed by Beverly Pepper (b. 1922), an award-winning American sculptor known for her large steel sculptures and totem figures. Besides the United States, Pepper has commissioned pieces in Italy, Japan, Israel, France, Sweden, Spain, and Australia.
The sculpture’s name refers to William of Ockham, a 14th Century English philosopher associated with Ockham’s Razor, a principle of scientific inquiry that postulates that the simplest explanation is probably the best.
The sculpture stands about 24 feet tall and weighs 3,000 pounds.